21 May, 2015

Has She Sung Yet? A Mid-Week Grab Bag?

I don't think she has so far. By all accounts, my wallet, especially, she should have. I thought when I took the Isuzu with it's 'new' A/C compressor to Nirobi and got it charged up, that we might be done with expenses for a while. In a word, that'd be, uh... no.

Apparently, we still have the Rubicon somewhere in front of us. I went into town this morning on a quest to find a smallish piece of aluminum to make a tool for the pool chlorine tablet tower. About halfway through all that running around, I noticed the car was running more than a tad hot. Not yet boiling over, but getting there. Anyway, I shut off the A/C, much to Secret's and Bela's consternation.

After we got back home and the engine cooled down, Carlos took a peek at the radiator. Still had water in it. That sort of indicates a blockage in the radiator itself. There's a couple of shops around that flush radiators and that sort of stuff, so that's probably my next project.

Let me back up a smidge and tell you about getting the A/C charged. I drove over to Nirobi's place (easy once you know how to get there), and he let me in.

After popping the hood, he hooked up his gauges and asked if the compressor had been 'oiled?' I didn't know, so I called Rick and asked him. He must have been irritated with something going on at his shop because he told me in sort of clipped tones that that was part of the A/C man's responsibility - oiling, filling with coolant, and testing it. Ok then. I knew then that it wasn't going to be as quick a stop with Nirobi as I had imagined.

I told Nirobi that it hadn't been oiled. He shuffled off to his storeroom and came back with a bottle of A/C compressor oil. I didn't even know there was such a thing. He also replaced the o-ring where the tube from the compressor fits into the firewall. Then he told me to go across the highway to the Chinese store and get the coolant, Freon R134-A. So, I did that. They must sell a lot of it, as it was right near the front of the aisle near the cash register. $30.00 BZD.

Made it back across the highway (still under construction up at that end of town) and gave it to Nirobi. He plugged it into his system and began charging up the Isuzu.

Shortly after that, the acid test. I had had the A/C on while he was charging the system, but hadn't stuck my head into the cab to see if it actually had gotten cooler. Well, it had, noticably. Doggies were speedily becoming happy campers.

Finishing up at Nirobi's cost another $60.00 BZD for the oil, ring, and service. Not bad overall. Like I said, coming back to the present, I thought then that the troubles were behind us.

Now, I'm sure it's entirely coincidental, but just a few days ago Bruce had ordered a radiator from Guatemala. All metal, no plastic top and bottom cap, and he had just received it. Hindsight being what it is, I probably should have ordered one with him and we could probably have gotten a discount.

Well, we'll hope that it's just a matter of the radiator being clogged. if not, I may ask Bruce for the particulars on where he ordered his radiator.

I don't think it ever ends, does it?
On a happier note, Sara and Jeff arrived a couple of days ago. They're renting Denis and Vivien's house across the street. We're breaking them in right. Last night, about 0100 AM, BEL dropped the load and we were without current for the better part of three hours. I sweat like a pig. Nothing like trying to sleep when you're just dripping sweat. I'm sure, since they haven't had a chance to acclimatize yet, that it was an interesting experience for them. Welcome to paradise.
I thought I had someone lined up to take a whack at the custom font I purchased. After an initial round of emails, it's like they dropped of the end of the world. They actually live and work in Ireland, so I suppose it's possible. Maybe Leprechans had something to do with it.
Related, sort of, but a separate issue, I'm still trying to get the Domain Name System (DNS) for my domain ( sorted out. Confusing as all get out. Time will tell, however.
I guess this is sort of turning into a grab bag, again. What can I say but yes, it is.
We thought our new little girl, Bela, was done with her bout of Demodex mites, a susceptibility for them that is inherited, so they appear fairly early on in their lives. Not contagious, but unless treated, can be devastating. So, she's back on Ivermectin once again, with a daily dose until all the symptoms disappear. I've heard it's not unusual to have to repeat the course once or twice till their immune system is up to the task. It certainly doesn't slow her down any.

Oh, also, she has started walking the walk. She looks so cute with her little purple pack on. I'll see if I can get some pictures or two of her at work. She's actually carried mail, bakery goods and veggies for us. So, she's getting right into the swing of things.
Carlos has been busy varnishing the house and the front/back porches as well. He first pressure-washed the house. It's really looking a lot better. Long over due for a thorough cleaning and varnishing. We'd had our old caretaker, Cody pretty much do a much lighter job of it before. But, it was time for really good going over.
That's about all I can think of for right now. I have to get some lunch together and get ready to get in the pool and cool down. Well, I know it's rough, but somebody has to do it.

1 comment:

Wilma said...

Oooooh - a pressure washer! We have one, in storage in Minnesota. :-(
Hope you get the AC straightened soon. We would be in dire straits if our car AC stopped working. Cheers!