13 September, 2018

Drain Spotting

The first signs that it was happening was with my mustache. This was about twelve or so years ago now. Gray flecks began showing up in it. No, it wasn't dandruff or cookie crumbs. Honest to goodness gray. From there it kind of gradually took over the whole 'stache.

Then, it migrated to the beard gray areas (not flecks now, mind you) began taking over. And, eventually, one morning, I woke up and looked in the mirror. Son of a bitch,. The whole damned thing had not only turned gray, but white! I swear, overnight.

Then for a good long while, things more or less stabilized. I did begin to notice that there was more hair collecting in the shower drain in the mornings. But, since the dogs variously took turns napping in the shower (nice and cool in there), I assumed that was the source of the hair.

Somewhere in the damp and dark recesses of the back of my mind, I suspected the truth. But, it was still easier to blame it on the doggies, and Dianna. I was sure she was losing hair. That had to be it.

That is, until this morning. Dianna and I had appointments for haircuts with Lourdes at her salon, Hairways, here in Corozal. Lourdes had been up in the States for several months, visiting her daughter, who is a computer tech in the US Air Force, stationed in Missouri. So, it had been three or four months since she had seen me, much less cut my hair.

I was first in the chair to 'get my ears lowered,' as we used to say in the military. The conversation was the usual, getting caught up on local events, what might be happening with hurricane Florence and the Carolinas, and our own potential with Tropical Storm Isaac. Just normal stuff until Lourdes dropped this one on me.

She Asked me if my hair was getting thinner. I took it manfully and was able to respond that, yes, I thought it had been getting a little thinner. She agreed and said it seemed quite a bit thinner on the crown. I said I had noticed more hair in the shower drain, but assumed it was Dianna's, which brought an exclamation from Dianna.

Oh, no! I finally was forced to admit to myself that, yes indeed, it was. Getting thinner. Lourdes eased the pain somewhat by saying she saw some new gray sprouts springing up in place of the old brown hairs. Nice of her.

So, besides, achy joints, and graying of the mustache and beard (not to mention chest hairs and some others), thinning on top is now part of the new reality.

Well, there you have it. I'm finally having to admit that that gray-haired old fart staring back at me from the mirror, isn't just an image, it's me. It's probably all going down the drain eventually, one strand at a time.

28 August, 2018

Followup on Dogs and Barrels

First, we did our usual walkies this morning. For those who don't know, we do about four miles from Casa Winjama into town to the Post Office, the market, and other places if necessary.

When we had the opportunity to support the barrels being placed around town, Daniel Cano, the artist, asked me if I wanted anything special on the barrel. I thought about it for a second or two and suggested something about doggies as on our walks, I had been admiring all the new barrels along the waterfront. This barrel is the result.
Bela and Daisy Admiring the New Barrel
Unfortunately, even with a new trash barrel right there, as you can see, some people have trouble raising their arms enough to drop their trash into the barrels, not quite two feet away from where they had to be standing. Some people are just pigs. No other word for it.

I've heard over the years that people are reluctant to put their trash into the barrels when they're provided, because they are afraid that the people who
I wrote about the aggressive street dogs, as you can see below, at least two of them have collars. I put that entirely up to lazy, non-caring owners, who don't deserve to own dogs. Unfortunately, the pit bull-looking light tan dog right in the middle with the white flea collar is the biggest aggressor of the bunch.
The Street Dogs I've Mentioned
Naturally, this morning, as I was taking the picture of Bela and Daisy with the new barrel, this pack came up, aggressively as usual, then stopped a good distance away and were relatively well behaved, so I took their picture. The shepherd is a new one in the pack.

27 August, 2018

Doing Our Little Bit

A group of Corozaleños, Corozal Daily (our local online news source), and Daniel Cano, artist, are working to help clean up downtown Corozal. We got the chance to have a small part in that activity, by sponsoring Daniel to paint one of the barrels.

Most of the barrels have various sealife depicted on them. I thought it would be nice to have something for the girls - the girls, in this case, being Deohgee, Bela, Daisy, and Coco, since we do walkies past those barrels pretty much every day.

The Doggie Barrel We Sponsored
(Used with kind permission of Corozal Daily)
This barrel is close to the new (and very popular) exercise equipment, donated by the Republic of China (Taiwan), on the waterfront, close to the Hok 'ol K'in Guest House.